Tuesday 3 January 2012

Happy new year

Happy new year to you all.  I hope your Christmas and new year was safe and pleasant.  We had lovely celebrations and a nice time as a family.   All my children are well now and are really enjoying the holidays, time at home and as a family. 

The new year finds me reflecting on the past year and looking towards the new one. The year behind has been a challenging but fulfilling.  I have achieved my goal of sketching each day (mostly)  The last month of sketching didn't really happen but family commitments were just a little more of a priority through those weeks. 

My first page of the year


But I still drew almost every day of this year.  I have really improved on my drawing.  The biggest change for me has been the speed in which I can draw now.  I am so much faster and far more accurate.  It has been an exciting journey for me. 



One of my later pages of the year

I am going to continue to draw this year each day but rather than finish a page a day I am going to try to do a page a week with a little work done on it each day.  I


I made another goal to quilt more and enter more competitions.  I  made deadlines on 8 different competitions and exhibitions this year. I spent a lot of time on surface techniques.  I have loved the explorations and exciting results of my experimentation's.  I have really improve in my painting this year.  It has been scary to try new techniques and subjects but the practice has really paid off for me. 


One of my paper quilts this year


A personal quilt remembering the sacrifices of my ancestor in war.


This year I really want to improve in my quilting so I am going to spend some time a week quilting.  I hope to have a few samples made by the end of the year to use as a reference point.  I also want to get more accurate in my free motion quilting and more creative with the needle.

I want to spend more time studying other artists.  I am hoping that this will help me be more critical of my own work and to implement new ideas into my work.

I am so excited about trying new things this year.  What are you all doing to improve you art this year?  Leave a comment and let us know.

1 comment:

  1. I'm like you, Catherine, I aim to actually enter some exhibitions/competitions this year. I've figured out that deadlines are great for me and themes and size restrictions are also good inspiration. I've almost finished my first quilt and am entering it in "Beneath the Southern Skies" exhibition.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Leave me a message :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...