Saturday 25 August 2012

Natural light in photography

Sorry for the lack of posts over the past couple of weeks.  Life has run away with its self and other things have had to take priority.  So hope fully I am back on track this week.

Lets talk about natural lighting in photos.  I haven't got the equipment or the space to set up a studio in my home so the lighting I have needs to be simple and cheap,  the natural light from the sun.  What can be cheaper than this. 

I tend to use this light in a few ways.  Direct light,  reflected light and diffused light.  Where you place the light also produces different effects as in these photos

 
Flower photos taken 1 metre away from a window

 
Flower placed on the couch 3 metres away from the window with flash on

 
Sun Light placed behind the flower

 
Direct sun light on the flower 1 and 1/2 metres away from the window
 
 
1 metre away from a window with full sun streaming through

 
Light diffused with cloud.  Flowers next to the window

 
Direct sunlight on petals.  High clouds.
 
 
Try experimenting with light on one type of subject and see what you can come up with.  I am amazed what effects that can come from just the sun without even changing any basic setting on my camera.

 

 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you. Leave me a message :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...