Thursday 8 November 2012

Sketchbook this week

 
I have gone back to what I know well and love doing in my sketchbook.  Blank ink,  watercolours and patterning.  I love drawing patterns.  I think it is the way it makes me relax and the symmetry it has in my busy world I live in. 
 
 
 
 

 Patterning takes me back to my childhood making faces from the patterns in the curtains and using the patterns on the floors to play marbles. I use to love to look up at the ceilings at church when I was bored and count the tiles and the dots all in neat rows on the tiles and to wonder what I could hide in the old wooden patterning on the walls behind the pulpit.


 
When we first got married we had a lovely old patterned carpet that was magical for our children.  My babies love just to look at all the colours and patterns.  I wonder if they made faces from them as I did .  I will have to ask them:)

 
 
Patterns can make the unpredictability in life more stable.  Like getting up at the same time each day or setting the table with forks on one side and knives on the other side, getting down on my knees before bed to talk to my maker and to know that the sun will continue to rise each day no matter what else is going on.

 
Patterns add a solidarity to my life and keep my feet firmly placed on the earth I stand on. thats probably why I like them so much.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you. Leave me a message :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...