Sunday 8 June 2014

An oldy but a goodie: Things to use to print with

I posted this blog a couple of years ago.  It has been a really popular post so I thought I would re post it today. Mybe you would like to add some more ideas of cheap printing tools in the comments.

Many people spend a lot of money on printing plates and fancy tools for surface design on fabric and to make sketchbook pages.  I don't...I use objects found at home or make my own stamps out of erasers and stencils out of card lying around.  It gives me a lot of satisfaction to produce my own designs and it certainly saves the wallet.

Try these objects


Cookie cutters printed into wet paint or dab on paint to use as a stamp.

Use cookie cutters that can be used for multi purposes ie.  hearts can be made into flowers, hearts (obviously) and new shape configurations

Tops of plastic containers



Make simple stencils from card 


Sequin waste and metal mesh make great objects to stencil though


End of cotton reels for stamping.


Use lids for different size circles


Corks make great stamps.


Objects found at a emporium.  10 for $1.00 NZ!


Make a roller stamp.  String makes a wonderful texture.


Home made stamps form erasers


Simple and cheap commercial stamps.  Buy stamps that are multi purpose


The end of kitchen objects


The end of straws make great tiny circles.  (try spaghetti pasta for even smaller circles!)

Have fun and play and experiment

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you. Leave me a message :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...