How to make a fine strap for a pouch
A client has asked me to make a strap for a wee little pouch she bought from me on Saturday. She wants to be able to hang it around her neck to hold a credit card, lippy etc so she doesn't need to carry around a full handbag. So today I am going to show you how to make the strap.
- Material in the same colour as the pouch.
- Paint and paint brush if the material needs to be made to match
- Sewing machine
- Fine ribbon
- Rotary blade and ruler
- cutting mat
Little pouch before strap is attached
- Either find matching fabric or make your own to match. I didn't have any matching fabric so I need to paint my own. Choose some white cotton fabric. You don't need to iron it.
2. Choose the paint you will need to create the colour you want
3. Paint down the bias of the fabric a strip of the colour that has chosen. Let the fabric dry.
4. Iron the fabric. This seals the Textile ink and irons if flat to make sewing easier.
5. Cut a strip of fabric 3/4 inch (1.9 cm) wide with a rotary cutter
The cut strap
6. Cut a piece of fine ribbon slightly longer than the strip that has been made.
7. Stitch the ribbon to the end of the strip of fabric
8. Fold the right sides together and stitch down the strap
9. The strap will have a piece of ribbon hanging out the end.
10. Hold onto the ribbon and the other end of the strap. Pull on the ribbon and the strap should magically turn in the right way.
11. Cut the ribbon where it was originally stitched on. Put the ribbon to the side and use for another project.
12. Iron the strap flat.
Stitch the strap into the side seam or....
.......Stitch along the fine strap on the flap
13. Attach the strap to the inside of the pouch either to the sides of the pouch or on the flap. Adjust as needed
The finished pouch